No. 54 Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra News and Notes
- SIXTH: Ty Gibbs is sixth in the NASCAR Xfinity Series points standings with an 11and place at the finish during the season opener at Daytona International Speedway and a 13and place at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California.
- LAS VEGAS: Gibbs competed in a NASCAR Xfinity race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway when he started sixth and finished 11and in the fall of 2021.
- Gibbs only completed 18 Xfinity races in 2021, but won four races and finished 13and in the final Xfinity Series driver standings. This earned him the Xfinity Rookie of the Year award.
- WHAT A START: In Gibbs’ Xfinity Series debut in February 2021 at Daytona Road Course, he led 14 of 56 laps en route to his first career Xfinity Series win. Gibbs became the youngest driver to win an Xfinity road race at 18 years, 4 months, 16 days. The Charlotte, North Carolina native also became the second-youngest winner in Xfinity Series history after Joey Logano won in June 2008 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta when he was 18 years and 21 days old. .
- IN GOOD COMPANY: Gibbs is the sixth driver to win on his Xfinity Series debut, joining Dale Earnhardt, Joe Ruttman, Ricky Rudd, Terry Labonte and Kurt Busch. These five drivers had already participated in the NASCAR Cup series before participating in the Xfinity series.
- ARCA CHAMPIONS: Gibbs became the 2021 ARCA Menard Series champion with 10 wins, plus one win each in ARCA West and ARCA East.
- AT THE TOP OF THE PIT BOX: Veteran crew chief Chris Gayle will oversee the No. 54 team’s efforts through the 2022 season. Gale, a native of Little Rock, Arkansas, led his drivers to two NASCAR Cup victories Series and 30 wins in the Xfinity Series. The list of drivers Gayle has visited on the way to victory includes Gibbs, Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Sam Hornish Jr., Erik Jones, Elliott Sadler, Christopher Bell and John Hunter Nemechek.
- JGR IN LAS VEGAS: Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) has 70 total starts in Las Vegas in Xfinity competition with two wins, 21 top fives, 39 top 10s, four poles and the team led 1,030 laps.
- RACE INFO: The Alsco Uniforms 300 is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday, March 5 and will air on FS1, SiriusXM Channel 90 and PRN.
Ty Gibbs, #54 Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra driver
“It’s nice to get back to a track I’ve been to before in the Xfinity Series. We hadn’t raced the Daytona Oval or Fontana in an Xfinity car, so the experience in Las Vegas I think that we’re going to help me. (Chris) Gayle (crew manager) has already won there at Xfinity, so I’m ready for the weekend. I think our Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra will be strong.
Chris Gayle, No. 54 Monster Energy Toyota GR Supra Crew Chief
“In race three we finally go to a track where Ty has some Xfinity experience which always comes in handy. We spun early at Fontana but rallied to finish 12and and we hope for better in Las Vegas. The West Coast swing is tough for everyone, so a good run always helps. Las Vegas is a tough track and we were lucky enough to win there at Xfinity in 2016 with Kyle (Busch). Hopefully our Monster Energy GR Supra will be good and we will have a good race.”